the boston belt


Name: Teddy Yarosz
Career Record:click
Nationality: US American
Hometown: Monaca, Pennsylvania, USA
Born: 1910-06-24
Died: 1974-03-29
Age at Death: 63
Height: 5′ 10″
Reach: 184
Manager:Ray Fouts

Another photo


The Tyrone (PA) Daily Herald

12 Sept 1934

Teddy Yarosz Is New Middleweight King

Gets decision in 15 Rounds

Over Vince Dundee


Teddy Yarosz, youthful boxing idol oof the steel district, ruled the middleweight class today by lifting the crown from titleholder Vince Dundee in a 15 round split decision battle here last night. Yarosz dethroned the champion but the chorus of boos that greeted the verdict showed it was far from a popular verdict. Two judges split the decision and it was left to Al Grayber, referee of Pittsburgh , to cast the deciding vote in favour of the Monaca battler.

The battle,marked by an absence of punching power on the part of both fighters, lacked the colour and glamour of a title match. It was exceedingly tame and not altogether pleasing to the crowd of 28,000.

Unofficial scores gave Yarosz a slight edge in six rounds and four to Dundee. Five were even. But the dethroned  champion forced the issue. He kept pressing in and followed the challenger as Yarosz resorted to his peculiar style of combat. He continually pushed his left hand into Dundee’s face and then circled the ring.

Neither battler displayed any hitting power. Dundee’s weaving style and his experience caused Yarosz to miss frequently but the loser found it difficult to land any telling blows. Both men left the ring unmarked. At the final bell both Yarosz and Dundee were tired and weary. Neither was floored during the fifteen rounds although one or the other fell during clinches on three different occasions.    

Dundee entered the ring holding a 1 lb advantage over his opponent. He displayed a determined defiant air and relied heavily upon his experience and knowledge rather than an aggressive attack to carry him to victory. Yarosz was eager and obviously nervous. His desire to win the match and title caused him to miss many blows to the champions head as the latter danced around the ring.

The early rounds were uninteresting as Yarosz assumed his peculiar stance. Pushing his left glove into Dundee’s face and circled the ring while the champion pursued. Repeated warnings to Dundee from the referee for hitting low brought a complaint from the titleholder that Yarosz was pushing the glove to the low mark.

As the battle proceeded Dundee’s experience and ring knowledge became more obvious. He weaved his head and shoulders forcing Yarosz, anxious to pile up an advantage, to miss many good blows.

Dundee’s bid for victory in the final round fell short. Some of his blows found there mark and Yarosz weakened. The challengers pace was retarded as he stumbled awkwardly about the ring. Still he showed no signs of going down as he fought back until the bell.

Then he trudged slowly to his corner when Dundee moved with equal uncertain steps toward his handlers.The decision was as unpleasant to Yarosz as it was disappointing to Dundee who had been defeated twice before in non title bouts by the newly crowned champion.

 The Morning Herald, Uniontown, PA

20 Sept 1935



Champion Floored Twice During Fight; Suffers Badly Wrenched Knee Early in Bout



 Babe Risko,  ex-.sailor won the middleweight boxing championship tonight by defeating Teddy Yarosz, of Monaca in a 15-round bout at Forbes Field. The Syracuse slugger received unanimous decision of the Judges after flooring the champion twice and pounding him steadily  throughout the fight.  

The barrel-chested  Syracuse battler kept up a constant attack that the Pittsburgh boy could not overcome. In the sixth and again in the seventh round Teddy went down , each time for anine count. Yarsoz. Who won the title just a year and eight days ago from Vince Dundee was groggy at times but he was able to come back strong and weather the best of Risko's pile-driving punches. 

It was the second time Risko defeated Yarosz — the first time by a technical knockout in seven rounds last New Years Day at Scranton, Pa. Yarosz's  right knee was bandaged by his handlers after the fourth round and it seemed to bother him during the rest of the fight. Yarosz blamed an injury to this knee for his defeat at Risko’s hands in Scranton. He limped slightly in the closing rounds.

At no time during the fight was Risko in danger. The Associated Press score sheet showed Yarosz won only one round – the first with the eighth even.

Perhaps the greatest action of  the comparatively  tame fight came in the 13th when Risko landed long measured rights and lefts to Yarosz’s head at will. The defeated champion rallied desperately in the 13th and 14th rounds but  Risko more than held his own. 

Nursing his knee in the dressing room after the fight, the defeated Yarosz said 

"I  felt my knee click in the first round and I felt then that I could not win. That knee caused me to lose in Scranton and it is what sent me to the floor tonight. Risko landed some hard blows but they did not hurt me” 

The new champion who, like the man he defeated, is a Polish American had this to say. 

“I knew before the start that I would win. If Yarosz’s knee was bad he seemed to forget it on several occasions because he hit me hard”.


Lincoln State Journal 18 May 1937

Story of Teddy Yarosz Climb Back Up Ring Ladder Is Saga of Courage

Overcame Almost Hopeless Physical Handicap, Now Near Top Again.


 NEW YORK.. This is the story of a 26 year old Polish-American boy, sole support of a mother and six hungry kids, who is making perhaps the most courageouscomeback in the history of the grim, cheerless business of professional fighting. A little more than a year ago, Teddy Yarosz was tagged as a "hopeless cripple" with a stiff right knee, his middleweight crown gone and his future curtained by despair. Today, victor in a fight that few men would even have attempted, he's back as a foremost challenger to the title he once held.

 It was on New Years afternoon 1935, that Yarosz, riding high and mighty as king of the middleweights, fought what was regarded as a "sucker match" against Babe Risko at Scranton, Pa. His title wasn't at stake and no one then regarded Risko seriously. But in the mauling, Risko suddenlv walloped Teddy on the chin and he fell —  fell on his right knee The knee was so badly twisted that Yarosz was forced to hop around on one leg, finally losing on a technical knockout in the seventh round.

 Tragedy Again.

 No alarm was felt as Yarosz went to the Mayo brothers in Rochester. Minn., for an operation and repairs for a torn ligament By September Yarosz felt great again, risking his title this time against Risko at Pittsburgh. But to the dismay of his handlers, that right knee crumpled again in the fourth round. His trainer, fearful of such an emergency, wrapped his knee in elastic bandage and the courageous Yarosz hopped around for 11 rounds in agony only to lose the decision and the title.

 Everyone, especially the surgeons who looked him over told teddy to forget boxing, to get another job where he wouldn’t have to stand. Boxers and fight handlers felt sorry for him. He was thru, but was he?

Someone told teddy about Dr John Moore of Temple University at Philadelphia who had won fame for making crippled legs as good as new for injured football players. Dr Moore didn’t encourage him but removed his kneecap and performed an operation for a torn cartilage. So with his leg in a plaster cast Teddy went home. New challengers arose. He was forgotten, a "washed up" fighter lucky to be hobbling around with the aid of a steel leg brace and a cane.

Vows Comeback.

 But in January, 1936, against all advice, Teddy Yarosz decided to try a comeback. He packed his grip sack, took a train for New York and hobbled into Stillman's gymnasium to see his old trainer, Ray Arcel. "Ray," he said almost hopelessly, "I gotta fight." The fighting stars and stumble bums around the gym shook their heads. So did Arcel. Then suddenly, Arcel recalled an old American colonel who conquered a stiff leg by the use of weights He took Teddy to see Dr. Moore again. Dr. Moore said it wouldn't hurt to try weights and Arcel filled two large bags with salt and began his work.

 For four long months. Yarosz lifted those bags of salt enduring excruciating pain at first but gradually developing strength and spring in his leg. Everyone, including Arcel, was amazed. The leg got better and better. Yarosz began to do some shadow boxing Soon he accompanied Arcel to Prime Camera's fight camp. No one but Yarosz ever will know the pain he had endured and by the end of May he was given his first fight

 As his manager and Arcel held their breath, Teddy met Bob Turner at Pittsburgh. May 19 and won a ten round decision. He went back for more exercises but returned August 13 and knocked out Young Terry at Youngstown, O , in ten heats. On September 21. he finally got another crack at Risko. who had lost his title in the meantime He whipped Risko too.

 After Fred Steele.

 Since then, no one has been able to beat the courageous Yarosz. Tho he still drags his leg a bit, he went thru to win ten round decisions over Ken Overlin, Eddie MaGuire and Solly Krieger. His last start and victory was over Lou Brouillard and the account of the fight read “Teddy Yarosz came from behind to win the decision over Lou Brouillard”

 Name: Tommy Yarosz
Career Record:click
Nationality: US American
Hometown: Monaca, Pennsylvania, USA
Born: 1922-01-11
Died: 2006-03-25
Age at Death: 84
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5′ 11″
Managers: Ray Fouts and P. J. Buntag
Trainers: Ray Arcel, Eddie Yarosz


        Yarosz grew up in a large Polish-American family where boxing was a primary income source. While this was due to family talent, it had as much to do with the early death of his father and the lack of other work during the Depression. Yarosz took to the sport like a duck to water; as young boys he and brother Joey fought exhibitions at charity fundraisers. (Their brothers Ted, Eddie, and Victor were also boxers, with Teddy Yarosz becoming the World Middleweight Champion.) He reportedly went 25-1 as an amateur boxer, with 10 wins by knockout. He was a gifted athlete in general, and was a starter on a Monaca, Pennsylvania championship high school basketball team. (Monaca won the western PA title; in those days the east and west winners never met.)

        When he turned pro, he was described as being like his World Champion brother Ted at the same phase -- only faster, stronger and smarter. While it sounds like promoterese, it probably was true. The older brothers -- Ed, Teddy and Victor -- were self-taught when they started, and could only fight as "real work" allowed. Tommy, Joey and John, however, grew up in Ted's personal boxing gym, and learned the trade from experienced masters.

        Tommy Yarosz's career started well, but like the rest of his generation, it came crashing to a halt with World War II. Youngest brother John, the only one who didn't fight competitively, died when his bomber crashed. Yarosz joined the Signal Corps, hoping to be a "pigeoneer," as he was a racing pigeon fancier most of his life. But with pigeons replaced by radio, he initially was used as a boxing instructor at Fort Monmouth, where he received kudos for his training skills. Then he was shipped to the European theater, where he had some rough experiences. He was particularly shaken up when a close friend was killed while they were taking out a German gun placement.

         Aug 1949 cover

        After the war, he resumed boxing. At first he was managed by Ray Fouts, Ted's manager. When Ray died, Yarosz first turned to Pittsburgh veteran Bunny Buntach (or Buntag, the spelling changed), who was at the end of his own career. Ray Arcel, a longtime family friend who was training Yarosz, was convinced he could take Yarosz to a championship and became his final manager.

        After his boxing career ended, Yarosz owned the Sunset Tavern in Rochester, PA. In 1959 he went to work for the Westinghouse Electric Corporation. He continued to train and race pigeons. Tommy Yarosz died March 25, 2006, of pneumonia at age 85 years.

        The Ring magazine once placed him on the cover. There was no big story about him inside -- they just thought he deserved to be on the cover. In addition to all the champion records, the 1987 final edition of the Ring Record Book included a record section of great fighters who never were named champions -- and Yarosz was included. Yarosz was an icon for his era in the obstacles he faced: a depression during his amateur years, a world war during the first half of his pro career, and an organized crime takeover during the latter half.

        Although his career raises "what if" questions, his legacy is solid. He is considered one of the finest middle and light-heavyweight boxers in the 1940s, with a life story that transcended his times.