Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5

Number 6

Number 7

Number 8

Number 9

Number 10

Number 11

Number 12

Number 13

Number 14

Number 15



The Boxing Biographies Newsletter

Volume 7 – No 1   6th Jan,  2011

All the contents of this edition has been provided by Mr Tony Triem


Boxing Historian
Member, IBRO
Publicist, Int'l Ring 101
Former Director - WBHOF
Indian Springs, NV


Jack “Doc” Kearns

Maker of Champions

1882 - 1963

By Jack Kearns II

Jack Kearns was born John Leo McKernan in Iron Mountain, Michigan. At the age of one, he, along with his mother and father, traveled by wagon train to Seattle Washington, via the legendary Oregon Trail where they settled in 1886. His father, Phillip Leo, a political writer, former Scout for the Union Army, Civil war veteran at age 15 and a member of Cox’s army, was the Wagon Master on the trail.

In 1896, young Jack traveled to Alaska, where he met the celebrated author, Jack London, whom he discovered was also an oyster pirate in San Francisco Bay. This, and many others of London’s adventures, influenced Jack’s approach to life.London renamed Johnny McKernan, Jack Kearns, after a character he wanted to eventually write about. He thought that person might be the type of character Johnny would emulate and since the now newly named Jack Kearns’s aspirations were to be a boxer, London thought of Kearns as a tougher sounding name.

Young Kearns thought the name selection was providential since he had heard from his father that their first family member emigrating from Ireland in the early 1700’s, named John Dennis McKernan also had an alias, name of John Kearns. In later years as he researched through the family members, he discovered that Dennis was actually thrown out of England along with all the other Irish rabble-rousers that fought and hated the English for what they had done to Ireland in the past.

While in the Klondike, he discovered that there were so many different kinds of colorful characters and they all seemed bent upon making a name for themselves in many different ways and fashions. But most had one thing in mind, becoming famous and wealthy with little concern for their own and others health and welfare. The fight game was where he belonged. That’s where the real money, excitement and action were.Kearns managed over eighty fighters in his sixty-five year career in the boxing game. Jack Dempsey, Mickey Walker, Joe Maxim, Archie Moore, Jackie Fields and Abe Attell were the world champions he managed.  He also managed, promoted and guided Benny Leonard, Battling Nelson, Harry Wills, Kenny Lane, Billy Murray, Bob Satterfield, Jimmy Clabby, Red Watson, Roscoe Toles, Soldier Bartfield, Hank Bass, Jack Dorval, Oakland Jimmy Duffy, Dick Hyland and many other ranked fighters and former champions, while usually a silent partner with many other managers and promoters.

Maxim and Walker were his favorite fighters. Walker, because he, his wife and family became close friends with Doc’s own family. Plus, he was Doc’s drinking buddy.  Maxim, because he always said, “the powder puff punching Maxim was the toughest guy I have ever seen. Imagine going to a gunfight with a ping-pong paddle in each hand. Especially against the murderous punchers he faced. Maxim and Dempsey had great chins, Joey needed it.”

The good Doctor was the consummate hustler and promoter, while maintaining his reputation as a standup guy in the fight game. He was the main figure responsible for the Dempsey - Carpentier fight that became the first million-dollar gate in sports history. He also broke four banks in Montana and made over $300,000 when the local real estate promoter tried to hustle him for free publicity by claiming he wanted to promote a Jack Dempsey – Tommy Gibbons match in the town of Shelby that was probably the first sports event where the hustler got hustled. Kearns was a wonder when it came to making money, and spending it.

The Shelby story should have been made into a movie years ago.

Joe Berks



Berks is considered by some to be a pioneer bare knuckle boxer.  Three times (once unofficially) Jem Belcher dealt with Joe Berks (sometimes written Bourke or Burkes), who was a truculent, tough, sometimes drunken butcher from Shropshire and had a violent temper.  Berks struck Belcher at a prizefight at Wimbledon in 1801, to which the champion had been specially invited.  The outraged Belcher demanded honor be served there and then in the available ring.  When he took almost 20 minutes to overcome Berks, the watching Lord Camelford considered it a worthy proposition to set them at each other again, in formal conditions, with Berks sober and well-prepared.  Berks was considered one of the most resilient, and probably one of the craziest of championship contenders.

In 1806, Berks was charged with two accomplices, including an Irish prizefighter named Jack O’Donnell, with stealing a £5 note and a guinea from a man named William Gee.  They were found guilty and sentenced to be transported.  Only the intervention of Gentleman Jackson saved Berks from a new life in Botany Bay or some even worse place, and he was last heard of as a non-commissioned officer in the Grenadiers serving under Wellington in Spain.

                                                                                            Bob Gregson



Nicknamed “the Lancashire Giant.”  Eccleston was the home of one of the best-known pugilists of his generation, Bob Gregson. Just after the turn of the 19th-century, he twice had memorable title battles against the legendary John Gully, champion prizefighter of All-England.

He fought Tom Cribb for the championship and 1,000 guineas in a 30 ft ring at Moulsey Hurst on 25 October 1808, only five months after Gregson had lost for a second time to John Gully (both fights were to determine the successor to Hen Pearce’s crown).  Gentleman Jackson refereed the fight.  They brawled head-to-head for round after slow, grueling round.  Cribb was so exhausted by the start of round 21 that he only just made it to the scratch-line, yet from somewhere he found the inner resolve to press on and in round 23 he tossed Gregson to the ground.  Gregson landed with his legs buckled beneath his l6st bulk and was unable to stand, let alone fight.  Gregson retired to his pub, the Castle in Holborn, otherwise to be known as Bob's Chop-House, but Gregson was a bad businessman and was forced to relinquish the pub in 1814.  He attempted to start a sparring school, but that did not take off, and instead left to try his luck in Dublin, where he made a better living.  In 1819 he embarked on a sparring tour of Ireland along with Dan Donnelly and George Cooper, but later was landlord of a pub named the Punch House in Moor Street, Dublin.  That failed too and he was virtually penniless when he returned to live out his last days in Liverpool, where he died in November 1824.  Two of Gregson's major prizefights were in 1807 when he beat Six-Mile Bottom in 36 rounds, and in 1808 when he beat Woburn in 8 rounds.

Fred Henning, in his classic book about the bare knuckle days of boxing, "Fights for the Championship", tells us that on the evening of July 12, 1807 a new heavyweight Bob Gregson, was presented at the Fives Court, St Martin's Street, Leicester Square, in an exhibition bout against Isaac Bitton, in which Bob acquitted himself very well. The fancy that night included Major Morgan, Captain Mellish, and Lt. Wedderburne Webster of the 11th Dragoons [this should be the 10th Hussars], nephew of Fletcher Reid. Webster became one of Gregson's backers in the championship fight near Newmarket on October 14, against John Gully. Gregson lost.

The fearsome Gregson also made quite a name for himself later, owning a London pub, setting up as a bookmaker and fight promoter and earning something of a reputation as a poet! A poem of his “British Lads and Black Millers” was published in a book, “Perfect in Their Art: Poems on Boxing from Homer to Ali” by Robert Hedin and Michael Waters.

A bust of Gregson is located in the Royal Academy.


Dutch Sam


BIRTH NAME:  Samuel Elias

BORN:  April 4, 1775,  Petticoat La., England (Whitechapel area)

DIED:  July 3, 1816

HEIGHT: 5'6"

WEIGHT: 130-134 pounds


This phenomenal little battler was a prominent Jewish boxer and known for his "iron fists." He had unbelievable strength for a man who stood 5'6" and never weighed more than 135 pounds. His physical power and long arms enabled him to fight men up to 168 pounds.Sam's first fight was recorded on Oct. 12, 1801 by Harry Lee. On that day, Sam defeated a boxer named Baker, a man much larger than he, on the roadside outside of Ensfield and won a prize of five guineas. Success soon followed as Sam defeated a heavyweight named Bill Shipley (called the Champion of Broadway) in 1803 in only 15-minutes, becoming Daniel Mendoza's successor as hero of England's Jewish community. Egan wrote, "among his own persuasion (the Jews) he is an object of great notoriety; and no money is ever wanting to back him upon any pugilistic occasion."

His power is legendary and is considered one of the hardest hitters of all time. Some have credited Sam with the invention of the uppercut. His frequent use of, and success with the punch, popularized it.His tremendous courage, amazing endurance and iron hands made him a crowd favorite. Pierce Egan, the most famous historian of his time said, "terrific is the only way to describe him."

Two of Sam's more noteworthy opponents were Caleb Baldwin and Tom Belcher, who was the brother of Jem Belcher. Both Baldwin and Belcher were undefeated at the time he fought them. Sam knocked out Baldwin and decisioned Belcher.At age 35 he was worn out by his career and hard-drinking. He retired May 31, 1810, nine years after his first fight, at 35. Six years later he returned to the ring but was beaten by William Nosworthy.

Despite his final defeat to Nosworthy, Dutch Sam's reputation and place in history as one of the two greatest Jewish fighters of the "pioneer" era -- along with Daniel Mendoza -- remains intact. Many historians believe that Sam was the first fighter to use the uppercut, and he is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame (inducted 1997), and the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. Sam's son was also a boxer known as Young Dutch Sam, and they are credited with being the first professional father-son team active in the ring. Young Dutch Sam was eight-years old when Dutch Sam died. According to the Edinburgh Advertiser, dated July 23, 1816, Dutch Sam’s death was “occasioned by having his ribs broke in one of the elegant Pugilist Amusements.”

Buckhorse Smith


BIRTH NAME:  John Smith


Buckhorse Smith was another famous fighting man, whose ugliness was probably a result of some form of infantile encephalitis.  Whatever the reason, his head was big and bulbous at the top and his face pinched and narrow.  He was born, according to Eccentric Magazine, “in the house of a sinner” in the notorious Lewkner’s

Lane near Drury Lane, where rogues, thieves and ne’er-do-wells gathered to eke out their grimy, violent and precarious existences.  Buckhorse learned to steal, and then to fight, with equal mastery and through his appearances at Figg’s Academy and then under Broughton, he became something of a cult celebrity. He ranked high for courage and strength among the boxers of his day and displayed great muscular powers in the battles he had contested. “As ugly as Buckhorse” became a cliché of the time.  Buckhorse was never a champion, but apparently his strange looks belied his talents.  He was sought after by ladies, who it was said regarded him as enthusiastic and energetic in the arts of love.  He died in a ditch one wintry night, cuddling his last bottle of gin.

The earliest known autobiography of an English boxer, Memoirs of the Noted Buckhorse, is printed in London. He was never much of a boxer, and reportedly earned his living picking pockets and singing in the streets (it is said that he "sucked in the love of gin" from his first nurse). In 1767 Buckhorse was also the subject of an ode by Christopher Anstey; this too celebrated the man about town rather than the pugilist.

The 1745 rebellion brought the heads of fresh victims to the Bar, and this was the last triumph of barbarous justice. Colonel Francis Townley's was the sixth head. Townley was hanged on Kennington Common. Before the carts drove away, the men flung their prayer-books, written speeches, and gold-laced hats gaily to the crowd. As soon as they were dead the hangman cut down the bodies, disemboweled, beheaded, and quartered them, throwing the hearts into the fire. A monster—a fighting-man of the day, named Buckhorse—is said to have actually eaten a piece of Townley's flesh, to show his loyalty.


Ever Hammer


1913 – 1930

W 46 (KO 22) + L 35 (KO 2) + D 14 + NC 6 = 101

BORN: October 30, 1894, Chicago, IL

DIED: September 13, 1969, Anaheim, Orange, CA

While many believe Hammer was born in Sweden, according to the US Census reports for 1900, 1910 & 1920, along with the California Death Index, he was born in Chicago, Illinois to Swedish-born parents. This is also substantiated by his World War I Draft Card Registration. He started his career fighting out of Chicago, IL in 1913. Most of his fights were in Midwest/Eastern states before moving out to California around 1919. His career included bouts with Eddie Moha, Jack Redmond, Ad Wolgast, Freddie Welsh, Bitter Root Kid, Johnny Dundee, Benny Leonard, Lew Tendler, Gene Delmont, Dave Shade, Bud Christiano and Jack Zivic.


He married Edith Bernice Whisenand in 1918 and they lived in Chicago, IL and Federal & Anaheim, CA.


George Nichols

Light Heavyweight

1921 – 1939

W 88 (KO 31) + L 29 (KO 9) + D 11 + NC 1 = 129

BIRTH NAME: Philip John Nicolosi

BORN: July 9, 1908, Sandusky, Erie, OH

DIED: May 9, 1992

Manager: Jack Singer


Nichols fought Dave Maier on March 18, 1932 to win the vacant NBA World Light Heavyweight title via a split decision in 10 Rds, only to have the title stripped from him in December 1932.During his career, he had bouts with Jack McVey, Dixie Kid, Osk Till, Charley Belanger, Gorilla Jones, Al Gainer, John Henry Lewis, Alabama Kid and Fred Apostoli to name a few.For more information on George, follow link to an article written and published by staff of the Sandusky Library and Follett House Museum, using materials from their local history collections at the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center.


Charley Retzlaff


1929 – 1940

BIRTH NAME: Charles William Retzlaff

BORN: October 28, 1904, Leonard, Cass, ND

DIED: June 4, 1970, Detroit Lakes, Becker, MN

BURIED: Leonard Cemetery, Leonard, Cass, ND

aka Comeback Big Charley R./The Duluth Bomber/The Duluth Ripper/The Duluth Dynamiter

Manager: Jack Hurley

Charley grew up on a farm. He started his boxing career in small bouts in Fargo and Grand Forks, ND, but quickly rose through the ranks as a heavyweight. He moved to Duluth as his career continued to develop. On May 12, 1933, Retzlaff won the Minnesota State Heavyweight title in a bout with Art Lasky by a 6th Rd TKO. In his bout against Joe Louis on January 17, 1936, Retzlaff was knocked out in one minute and twenty-five seconds in the first round. Following his loss to Louis, Retzlaff had three more fights before retiring. During his boxing career, he had bouts against: Johnny Risko, Tom Heeney, Jack Gagnon, James J. Braddock, Les Kennedy, Jack Roper, King Levinsky, Art Lasky, Al Ettore, and Stanley Poreda.

After his boxing career ended, he returned to farming. In 1950 he moved to Detroit Lakes, MN where he operated an automobile agency.


Vince DeSantis


1929 – 1931

W 5 (KO 1) + L 3 (KO 1) + D 0 = 8

BIRTH NAME:  Vincent Leo DeSantis

BORN:  July 2, 1911, Bristol, PA

DIED:  September, 1987

TRAINER:  Reds Bottlemace, Andy Blondheim

De Santis is considered by some to be one of Baltimore’s tough Lightweights of the 1930’s. He credits Bob Garcia, the old "Mexican Wildcat," as the person responsible for introducing him to boxing. DeSantis used to watch Garcia train which eventually lead to sparring with him.

As an amateur, De Santis was headlining shows 3-4 time a week. After losing 79 of about 80 bouts, he was suspended by the Athletic Commissioner and reduced to one fight per week. So, in 1929, Vince turned professional under the leadership of John DeLuca. DeSantis was serious about training. Besides running and going to the professional gym, he had his own gym on the 2nd floor of his home. At least one of Vince’s opponents attests to his excellent condition. Hall of Famer Angelo Meola was once quoted as saying, “You just can’t hit the guy. He was like greased lightning!” Nicknamed “Jimmy,” DeSantis admits that he couldn’t hit like his idol Jack Dempsey, but his great speed and good left hook kept him out of harms way.

In 1931, Vince defeated Pete DeAngelis in a bout billed for the Lightweight Championship of Highlandtown. While his biggest “thrill” was defeating Frank Rappa, DeSantis felt his toughest fight was against Bobby Burns. He broke his left hand in the first round. Vince continued on in the fight, but his corner stopped it in the 4th. This was DeSantis’s last fight.

After retiring from boxing, Vince worked as a chauffeur for the American Brewery Company. He served in the Army during World War II, stationed at Fort Knox, KY. After spending 42 years with the brewery, he retired and opened the Venice Tavern in Baltimore with his brother Frank. DeSantis also served on the Maryland Nominating and Maryland Boxing Hall of Fame Committees. He was inducted into the Maryland Boxing Hall of Fame in 1978.


Harry Thomas



W 40 (KO 34) + L 14 (KO 3) + D 2 = 56

BIRTH NAME:  Henry Anthony Pontius

BORN:  April 14, 1906, Eagle Bend, Todd, MN

DIED:  February 15, 1971, Hennepin County, MN

BURIED:  Long Prairie Cemetery, Long Prairie, MN


Harry fought the likes of Joe Louis, Max Schmeling, Tony Galento, Pal Silvers, Charley Belanger and Unknown Winston to name a few.  Joe Louis commented that he was a tough fighter.  In 1939, when possible boxing fixes were being investigated, it was reported that Thomas supposedly admitted to faking his fights with Max Schmeling and Tony Galento. The day after his bout against Galento, the Pennsylvania State Commission banned him from their state rings for life.Aside from boxing, Thomas also played football at Trinity College in Morningside, Iowa and spent time as a cowboy in the Intake, Montana area.

Some controversy exist regarding Harry’s birth name. BoxRec currently lists it as Herman William Pontius. Some close family friends state it is Harry Pontius and he had a brother, Henry Anthony Pontius. Research is on-going to try to resolve this issue.


Jimmy Martinez


1950 – 1959

W 98 (KO 23) + L 35 (KO 4) + D 10 = 143

Birth Name:  James Manuel Martinez

Born:  February 14, 1929, Glendale, AZ

Died:  April 13, 2007, Glendale, AZ

Buried:  Resthaven Park West Cemetery, Glendale, AZ

Manager:  Bobby O’Dowd


Jimmy was raised in Glendale. He left home at an early age to work on a farm owned by a Russian family who taught him to speak Russian, making him multilingual, Spanish, Russian, German and English. Hard work on the farm prepared him physically to become a fierce contender on the road to becoming a Golden Glove champion. As an amateur he was called "a wild right handed knockout swinger", which won him the title of Golden Glove champion. Jimmy's professional boxing career was from 1950 to 1959. He was a Phoenix ring fan favorite, dubbed the Arizona Middleweight King. He was described in the many sports articles as "clever Jimmy", "knockout artist", "a classy, durable boxer", "formidable foe", "handsome", "hard to hit", "elusive", "fast & sharp, virtually unmarked and in demand." His style of boxing was compared to that of Rocky Castellani, he was billed as one of the busiest middleweights in the business which earned him the "have gloves, will travel" reputation. The "globe girdling" and "Globetrotter" names were earned from his extensive travels during his career. He fought in Australia, Spain, Germany, France, Jamaica, Africa and all across the United States. He was the only American in that time to fight in North and South Africa. Six of his fights were nationally televised. His last professional fight took place in Kingston, Jamaica. Due to the worsening bursitis in both shoulders, he retired shortly after. At the end of his boxing career he was described as "quick talking, good looking, happy, likable guy". That reputation followed him in the many career paths he took. His magnetic, charming personality made him many friends. People were always attracted to his quick wit and humor. He will be deeply missed. Services were held April 20, 2007 at Sts. Simon and Jude Cathedral, 6351 N. 27th Ave., Phoenix, AZ.

Jimmy was good friends with the late country-western singer/songwriter, Marty Robbins. Marty wrote and recorded a song in 1966 entitled “Jimmy Martinez” in honor of their friendship. The song was published on Marty’s “Saddle Tramp” album. Jimmy was so proud of the song, he used to carry his 45rpm copy of it with him. After Jimmy retired from boxing, he was a bartender at the 307 Club in Phoenix, AZ. Every time you went to the jukebox to play a song, Jimmy would request “his” song and laugh. He was very proud of his close relationship with Marty. I knew Jimmy very well and played this song for him at the club more times than I can remember.

Some of Jimmy’s opponents include Eddie Williams, Al Hernandez, Hank Davis, Kid Zacaratas, Earl Turner, Spider Webb, Willie Pastrano, Joe Miceli, Phil Moyer, Tony Dupas, Tony Montano, Milo Savage, and Jimmy Beecham.


An Annotated History of Boxing

within the State of Nevada

By Tony Triem

Boxing Historian

Las Vegas, NV

In the mid-1950s, Las Vegas started its climb towards becoming the center of the boxing world. With the increasing development of casinos and the influx of celebrity visitors, it became progressively easier to bring in the big names such as Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Cassius Clay, Mike Tyson (the youngest Heavyweight title holder), George Foreman (oldest Heavyweight title holder), Benny “Kid” Paret, Don Jordan, Emile Griffith, and Gene Fullmer to name a very few.

But, what about Nevada's fledging days in the boxing world? Through the use of various media information and the ever essential Internet, a brief, but spotty history comes to life. In the very early days, it appears Nevadans included boxing matches as part of any celebration whether it be a holiday or other, i.e., lodge initiations, birthdays, etc. If a fighter was passing through the area and matches were being held, they would often stop, or were “coerced” into stopping, and entered onto a card before they continued on - usually to California. Prior to Nevada’s boxing statute of 1897, boxing was banned in the State, so matches were often advertised as “exhibitions,” “amateur contests,” “athletic carnivals” or “athletic contests” as a way to circumvent the law. In order to properly record matches held in Nevada’s early days for historical purposes, one must understand the terminology used during the timeframe, why it was used and the laws governing boxing at the time.

The boxing statute of 1897 was approved on January 29, 1897 during the 18th session of the Legislature so the Fitzsimmons-Corbett title match could be held in Nevada. In short, it provided: (1) The boxer had to be a male of no less than 21 years of age and the gloves could not be less than 4 ozs. (2) The fee for a license was $1,000 which was paid to the local sheriff. (3) Ten hours prior to the match, the licensee had to file with the County Clerk a certificate in writing, executed by two regular practicing physicians of this State, that the contestants were in sound physical health and condition. (4) The exhibition or contest had to be held in an enclosure from which passersby could not observe it and alcohol was not allowed to be sold or given away on the grounds where the match was being held. (5) Authorized charging an admission fee. (6) Anyone violating the act was deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction, could be fined from $200 to $1000 or imprisoned for six months.

In 1913, this legislation was amended as follows: (1) That the contest or exhibition could not be more than 10 rounds. (2) The license fee was reduced to $100. (3) Fines for violating the law were reduced to $100 to $500 and that both fines and jail time could be incurred.

In 1919, the boxing statute was amended again as follows: (1) The boxers had to be "white" men. (2) Increased the length to 25 rounds. (3) The sheriff or a deputy had to be present at ringside. (4) Only one license could be issued for any boxing contest in any county on the same date. These amendments were passed over the governor's veto by Assembly and Senate certificates.

During boxing’s early days, “traveling” fighters would work in various other occupations to earn money between fights. Often, their odd jobs were physical in nature tohelp retain their fight “conditioning.” Some of the pugs traveling through Nevada found jobs at the mines. Two of the most popular areas were the mining towns of Tonopah and Goldfield. Matches were held to settle disagreements or just to “let off steam” and gamble. Pairings were usually made by either popular concensus or volunteer.

Jack Dempsey is associated, in fact and in legend, with many Nevada places: Reno, where he had prize fights as a teenager and later on the comeback trail; Ely, where he first began to attract crowds; Goldfield and Tonopah, where he moved from amateur to professional status while working as a miner. Dempsey started boxing professionally at the age of 19, and became one of the best-known sports figures of the 1920s.

Chronological History


Virginia City, Exact Date Unknown

  • Prof. Mike Donovan beat Billy Costello in 2 Rds.
    • This was the first known recorded bout for the State of Nevada.
  • 1886

July 24, Reno

  • Herbert (Maori) Slade & Denver Ed Smith battled through 3 Rds ending in a No Decision.
  • 1889

May 1, Virginia City

  • Peter Jackson was awarded a TKO after going 2 Rds with Shorty Kincaid.
  • 1897

March 17, Carson City, Race Track Arena

  • Bob Fitzsimmons beat James J. Corbett for the Heavyweight Title by a 14th Rd KO.
    • Besides passing special legislation to legalize this fight, there was talk of writing a bill to propose the appropriation of $3,000 for a Nevada State Heavyweight Championship belt made out of silver with diamond studding. It would have a reproduction of the official seal of Nevada and a facsimile of Gov. Sadler's signature. Don Stuart, promoter of the fight, declined the offer. He felt the State had already done enough for pugilism up to present time, was concerned it might arouse public sentiment against boxing and that it was not fair to ask the State to set aside any money for the present contest when there was already a handsome purse.
    • Fitzsimmons's manager was required to pay for a "theatrical" license because he had made arrangements with the livery stable to charge visitors $1.00 for transportation to and from Fitzsimmons's training camp.
    • The ring was 22 ft instead of 24. Shortly before the fight, the referee ordered the ring to be enlarged by adding "shelves" along its sides. But on the night before the fight, two ft of boards were sawed off around the entire ring. The posts were replaced two ft inward. Supposedly, this was done to accommodate the filming of the fight. This was the first fight to be filmed.
    • The gong used for the fight came from a mine and had been used to signal the lowering and hoisting of a car.
    • In an article written by George Siler, published in the Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 Jan 1907, pg 6, he states that this fight “...was the battle which placed Nevada on the pugilistic map, and it has been there ever since.”
  • George Green, aka Young Corbett, beat Mysterious Billy Smith via a 12th Rd TKO.
    • March 8 - Green narrowly missed being drowned. He and his trainer were in a boat on the Carson River. Green was reaching for an object in the water, went too far and upset the boat. Although a good swimmer, Green was stricken with a slight cramp and had to be assisted back to shore by his trainer.
    • March 11 - During training, Green struck his trainer on the back of his head and badly sprained his thumb.
    • Smith gave up at the end of the 11th Rd, saying his arm had been broken in the 4th Rd.
  • Dal Hawkins beat Martin Flaherty via a 1st Rd KO.
    • KO came at 1 minute 4 seconds of 1st Rd. Flaherty's seconds carried him from the ring.
  • 1901

September 12, Eureka

  • Jack Munroe beat T. Mulverhill via 2nd Rd KO.
  • 1905

June 3, Bullfrog

  • Morgan Williams beat Mike Dummy Rowan via 10th Rd TKO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • July 3, Reno
  • Marvin Hart beat Jack Root via 12th Rd KO for the Heavyweight Championship of the World.
    • First finish fight of the heavyweight class for several years.
    • Timekeeper officially counted the seconds instead of referee in case of a knockdown.
    • The bell from the Corbett—Fitzsimmons fight was used.
    • Root trained in Ogden Canon, 17 miles north of Ogden. He didn't arrive in Reno until two days prior to the fight.
    • Management was not going to allow women to witness the fight, but finally changed their minds.
    • Jim Jeffries was paid $1,000 to referee the fight.
    • From a financial viewpoint, this fight was a failure.
  • September 15, Goldfield
  • Harry Tenny beat Monte Attell via 25th Rd KO in a scheduled 25 Rd fight.
  • 1906

Tex Richard and Goldfield

Rickard had won and lost money as a gambler during the Alaskan gold rush. Seven years in the gambling dens of Alaska had netted him $65,000 but he wanted to capitalize on the fact. Now he found himself in Goldfield, Nevada, and looking for another opportunity. Rickard owned the leading gambling saloon in the small town of Goldfield, and when citizens of the town were discussing how to put Goldfield 'on the map', Rickard suggested a world title fight between Gans and Nelson. He planned to stage it himself, making his debut as a promoter.

The town was appropriately named. Gold had been struck there and one mine alone had produced more than $5,000,000 of gold-bearing ore in less than three months. The more prominent citizens of this cowboy town met to discuss ways of further exploiting their fortune and drawing national attention to the place. Some of the ideas mooted were ludicrous: there would be a race-track for camels imported from the Sahara; there would be an artificial lake of beer; ten-dollar gold pieces would be thrown on to the town's streets from a hot-air balloon. Rickard, however, had no time for hot air and instead suggested a boxing match.

The Goldfield Athletic Club was formed that very day. The men raised $50,000 to back a fight and appointed Rickard as treasurer and promoter. This promotion was plagued by problems. Most spectators were drawn to the heavyweights; but crowd-pulling Jim Jeffries had retired and his successor, Tommy Burns, was not a box-office attraction. The middleweights were largely dormant. Rickard discerned potential in the lightweights. Why should the exquisite Joe Gans not defend against a tough white contender? Black versus white? Boxer versus slugger?

Rickard put up the astonishing sum, for lightweights, of $30,000, and when the press came to Goldfield to see what it was all about, put the money in his window in gold dollar pieces. He publicized the battle as a grudge fight, and as a race fight. He built an open-air arena for 8,000 spectators. His hype succeeded and the match was a sell-out.

Gans returned to his own kingdom in the lightweight division to face his fifth challenger, Battling Nelson, a strong slugger who appeared impervious to punishment. This contest was promoted as a remarkable national event by the extraordinary Tex Rickard.

Gans was in trouble at the time. His crooked manager, Al Hereford, had urged him to throw fights prior to his winning of the championship. As champion, Gans had just knocked out top contender Mike 'Twin' Sullivan, but his manager vanished with his purse. His record was superb. In 144 recorded fights so far, Gans had lost only five times, twice when he was young and inexperienced and thrice in obedience to the bidding of the money men and the manager. Now he was broke and therefore keen on Rickard's proffered deal once he heard that his next defense would be fair and square.

The first tough white contender approached by Rickard was Jimmy Britt, who claimed the “White Lightweight Championship” and was offered the unprecedented sum of $15,000. Gans had already fought Britt; on 31 October 1904, he had given him a fearful pasting, forcing him to fall out in the twentieth round. But the Britt camp had never heard of Tex Rickard and dismissed him as a joker. So Rickard turned next to Battling Nelson, who had fought Britt twice, losing a twenty-round contest in 1904 on points, but coming back the following year to KO the “White Champion” in the eighteenth round of a scheduled forty-five round contest. When Battling Nelson beat Britt, Rickard wired him with an offer of $20,000; the largest sum ever offered a pugilist. Californian promoter, 'Sunny' Jim Coffroth tried to upstage Rickard by offering more to Gans. Rickard clinched his deal with a staggering $30,000 plus expenses, totaling $23,000 for Nelson and $10,000 for Gans. Rickard promptly placed $30,000 worth of newly minted, double-eagle gold pieces in the window of the local bank and proceeded to contact every press and news agency. This astute piece of business would net him $700,000.

On 3 September 1906, some 8,000 fans, including 300 women, paid to see Gans vs Nelson, at the arena Tex Rickard had erected. The Nelson camp had been giving Gans problems. They had insisted upon an 18-foot ring to cut down Gans's mobility and upon Gans having to make the weight minutes before the fight, which weakened the champion. Nevertheless Gans believed that he could beat Nelson.

Prior to the fight against this ferocious man, Gans received a telegram from his mother: 'Joe, the eyes of the world are on you. Everybody says you ought to win. Peter Jackson will tell me the news. You bring back the bacon.' Then he entered the ring for a fight to the finish. The spectators certainly received value for money in the longest contest in boxing history under Queensberry rules for a world championship. The first ten rounds were all Gans as he slickly outboxed his crude challenger, but he couldn't put him away. Nelson wanted to win the title or die on that broiling hot day. Punches could be bounced off him hour after hour and he refused to go down. In the eleventh round, he swamped Gans's skills with his rough-house tactics. A tiring Gans boxed on the retreat as Nelson swarmed forward.

Nelson found that he couldn't break Gans in half. Gans absorbed his best punches, caught his second wind and came back to bloody Nelson. By round thirty, Gans was way ahead on points yet Nelson still refused to fold. In the thirty-third round, Gans misjudged a punch which landed on the top of Nelson's thick skull and he broke his right hand. Even so and fighting one-handed, Gans managed to make Nelson look like a clumsy clot. By the forty-first round, Nelson was reduced to harmless cuffing and harmful but inept endeavors at eye-gouging. The forty-second opened with Nelson commencing a furious assault upon Gans's testicles. Referee George Siler warned the desperately frustrated slugger, who took no notice and promptly belted Gans in the groin once again. Siler promptly disqualified Nelson, who was really in no condition to continue. Goldfield was in the news, and Rickard made a handsome profit, going on to make even more lucrative matches.

'You bring back the bacon,' his mother had told Gans. He wired back the message: 'Mammy, your boy is bringing home the bacon with lots of gravy on it.'

September 3, Goldfield

  • Joe Gans beat Battling Nelson via a disqualification in the 42nd Rd to win the World Lightweight Title.
    • Gans used 5 oz gloves.
    • The last week prior to the fight, Nelson charged 50 cent admission to his training sessions.
    • The State Bullion Tax Collector estimated there was an increase of $200,000 $300,000 in revenue in the 18 months prior to the fight.
    • Tex Rickard’s debut as a promoter.
    • Fight was attended by 5,000 men and 200 women.
    • President Roosevelt's son was a spectator.
  • Gans and Nelson battle it out during the longest world title fight ever contested under the Queensberry rules.
  • Jack Clifford beat Bobby Lundle via a 2nd Rd KO.
  • 1907

January 1, Tonopah

  • Adam Ryan, Chicago, fought Lew Powell, San Francisco, to a draw in a 10 Rd bout.
    • In the 7th Rd, Referee Gleason was trying to separate the two when he received a right swing from Ryan landing squarely on his nose.
  • Joe Gans beat Kid Herman (Herman Landfield, Chicago) via 8th Rd KO, retaining his World Lightweight Title. Referee: Jack Welsh.
    • Gans “played” with Herman for 8 Rds, then took him down with a full right swing to the jaw. Herman was carried unconscious to his corner and 3 minutes elapsed before he recovered his senses.
    • Gans weighed in at 132 lbs in his underclothes. Herman had to entirely strip to make the weight.
    • A general holiday was declared in the mining areas around Goldfield so miners could go to Tonopah for the fight. Fight was delayed one hour because of the trouble the trains had plowing through the snow drifts. The arena was like a refrigerator & the heaters couldn’t be felt.
    • It cost $30,000 for the Casino Athletic Club to build the arena.
    • Gans’ purse - $12,000, Herman’s purse - $8,000
  • March (day unknown), Rhyolite
  • Kid McClung stopped Webster Fielding, "the Fighting Miner" in 3 Rds of a scheduled 45 Rd fight.
  • April 15, Tonopah
  • Mike Schreck, Cincinnati, beat John Wille, Chicago, via 19th Rd KO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
    • Fight was under straight Marquis of Queensbury rules.
    • Referee:  Otto Floro, Denver
  • May 30, Tonopah
  • Marvin Hart lost to Mike Schreck via 21st Rd TKO. Referee:  George Siler
    • It was reported Hart had broken his wrist during training.
    • A general holiday was called, closing the mines and businesses in honor of the day.
  • September 2, Tonopah
  • Young Peter Jackson beat Terry Mustain via 17th Rd KO.
  • October 31, Goldfield
  • Mike "Twin" Sullivan beat Frank Fields via 20th TKO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • 1908

July 4, Tonopah

  • Terry Mustain beat Jack Twin Sullivan via 13th Rd TKO.
    • Sullivan refused to fight in the 13th Rd claiming his hand was broken.
    • 2500 people attended
  • July 4, Goldfield Hippodrome
  • Rube Smith, Denver, was given the decision over Frank Fields, Goldfield, at the end of 20 Rds of fierce fighting.
  • September 7, Goldfield
  • Al Neill battles Young Peter Jackson for 7 Rds, ending in a No Contest decision
  • September 11, Reno
  • Monte Attell beat Ed Derby via 3rd Rd KO.
    • Derby was the Featherweight Champion of Nevada.
  • Bobby Johnson beat Harry Howard via 1st Rd KO.
  • October 22, Reno, Wheelman Hall
  • Monte Attell, San Francisco, beat Bobby Johnson, San Francisco, via 2nd Rd KO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • November 26, Las Vegas, Aplin's Hall
  • Indian Joe Gregg, Spokane, WA beat Peter Peterson, the "Terrible Swede" via 2nd Rd KO just at the sound of the bell.
  • 1909

January 1, Goldfield

  • Harry Krant beat Larry Gordon via 6th Rd TKO.
  • January 14, Goldfield
  • Abe Attell beat Freddie Weeks, Tonopah, via 10th Rd KO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight, retaining his World Featherweight title. Referee:  Eddie Graney
    • This was such an easy contest for Attell. He “played” with his opponent and chewed gum during the entire fight.
  • May 1, Winnemucca
  • Monte Attell beat Bobby Johnson via 3rd Rd KO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • June 15, Las Vegas, Aplin's Hall
  • Kid Mae, NY fought Young Johnson, Chicago to a draw in a 2 Rd fight.
  • Kid Murray lost to Young Gans due a disqualifying foul in the 7th Rd.
  • August 20
  • Jack Johnson passes through town and was greeted by an admiring crowd at the train depot.
  • 1910

January 1, Las Vegas Opera House

  • Spider Alpin beat Young Mack, Rd not known.
  • Kid Wood, Pioche, beat Patrick Henry, Rd not known.
  • Cyclone Schultz beat Sailor Buckley via stoppage in the 7th Rd.
  • July 4, Reno
  • James J. Jeffries loses to Jack Johnson via 15th Rd TKO in a scheduled 45 Rd fight for the World Heavyweight Title.
  • 1913

Unknown date, Belle Island

  • Wildcat Altman KO’d “Bill” Light (Lamoire, 122 lbs) in 2nd Rd
    • Light went into the ring without any training.
  • April 25, Reno
  • Roy Taylor beat Walter Coffee via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • May 1, Reno
  • Willie Meehan beat Jack Fitzgerald via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • Monte Attell fights Roy Moore to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • July 4, Reno (Moana Springs)
  • Jess Willard beat Al Williams via 8th Rd TKO in a scheduled 10 Rd bout.
  • July 4, Goldfield
  • Bob Graham fights Walter Coffey to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • July 25, Reno (Moana Springs)
  • Jack Fitzgerald vs. “Kid” Harrison
  • Fred “Kid” George vs. Roy Taylor
    • Both fights fought under the new state laws legalizing 10 Rd boxing contests. 160 lbs. Harry Stewart, referee. Taylor’s corner: Tom Jones, Jack Fitzgerald & Jimmy Callahan. George’s corner” “Dutch” Williams, “Spider” Welch & Bill Lawlor.
  • July 26, Yerington
  • Eddie Bartlett vs. George Leahy
  • August 8, Reno
  • Roy Taylor fights Kid Krantz to a draw.
  • September 1, Goldfield / Tonopah?
  • Walter Coffey vs. Bob Graham
  • September 1, Tonopah
  • Frankie Harris vs. Freddie Weeks  - fight at 126 lbs
  • September 1, Lakeview
  • “Kid” Krantz (chief trainer – Kearns) vs. Jack Fitzgerald - middleweights
  • September 1, Mason
  • “Wildcat” Altman vs. ???
    • Purportedly for the Lightweight Championship of the State
  • September 9, Reno
  • Frank Mantell fights Roy Taylor to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • October 17, Belle Island
  • Andy Platt fights Jack Fitzgerald to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • November 27, Reno
  • Roy Taylor beat Frank Mantell via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • December 12, Reno
  • Bob Graham beat Walter Coffey via 10th Rd KO.
  • December 21, Las Vegas 21st Birthday Party Entertainment
  • Brickley, "The Cincinnati Wonder" KO'd Jones, "The Salt Lake Kid". Scheduled for 3 Rds unknown which round KO was in.
  • Frank Schmailefer, "The Flying Dutchman" fought Howard Long, "The Cyclone Kid" to a draw in 3 Rds.
  • Phil Tom, "The Jersey Mosquito" fought Kellerman, "The Unknown" to a draw in 3 Rds.
  • 1914

January 1, Goldfield

  • Bob Graham beat Roy Taylor via 5th Rd KO.
  • January 15, Tonopah
  • Russell Kane beat Walter Coffey via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • July 3, Tonopah
  • Walter Coffey beat Russell Kane via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • Freck Lydon beat Dutch Williams via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • July 4, Goldfield
  • Johnny McCarthy, San Francisco, won 10 Rd decision over Kid Harrison, Reno - Lightweights
  • Sailor Grande, San Francisco middleweight, beat Bob Graham, Goldfield, via 5th Rd KO in a scheduled 10 Rd fight.
  • July 4, Reno
  • Johnny Sudenberg beat Anton LaGrave via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • September 7, Reno
  • Roy Taylor beat Johnny Sudenberg via 1st Rd disqualification.
  • 1915

March 14, Goldfield

  • Johnny Sudenberg beat KO Brown via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • March 30 – Carson City

By vetoing today the bill permitting twenty-round boxing contests, passed at a recent session of the State Legislature, Gov. Boyle put an end to all licensed prize fighting in Nevada, having already signed the general revenue bill, which repealed the law under which ten-round prize fights have been held during the past two years. The boxing bill was an amendment to the act of 1897, permitting finish fights, as amended by the Legislature of 1913, which limited contests to ten rounds.  (Los Angeles Times, March 30, 1915 – Nevada Governor Kills Fight Game)

April 19, Tonopah

  • Johnny Sudenberg beat Clarence "Kid" Ross via points in a 6 Rd fight.
  • April 26, Reno
  • Anton LaGrave beat Jack Boyd via points in a 6 Rd fight.
  • Frankie Burns fights Tommy Driscoll to a draw in 6 Rds.
  • Jack Dempsey beat Emmanuel Campbell via 4th Rd TKO in a scheduled 4 Rd fight.
  • Unk Griffin beat Unk Woods via 2nd Rd KO in a scheduled 4 Rd fight.
  • May 31, Goldfield
  • Jack Dempsey fights Johnny Sudenberg to a draw in a 10 Rd fight.
  • June 8, Tonopah
  • Roy Moore fights Jack Bratton to a draw in a 10 Rd fight.
  • June 11, Tonopah
  • Jack Dempsey fights Johnny Sudenberg to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • June 27, Goodsprings

Ex-prizefighter, Paul Coski, is shot to death during an argument over his cheating at cards. He was working as a miner in the Goodsprings area at the time. Coski was playing stud poker in the Pioneer Saloon when he was caught dealing himself from the bottom of the deck. Coski refused an offer to split the pot between him and Tom Lowe who had stayed in the game. In attempting to take the entire pot himself, he was stopped by Joe Armstrong who had dropped out. Coski started to climb over the table to get to Armstrong when Armstrong struck Coski over the head with a six shooter. When Coski seized Armstrong, Armstrong fired, the shot passing through Coski's hand and into his chest, but that did not stop him. Armstrong fired again and the second shot killed Coski. Coski had a very bad reputation and Armstrong was very well known and liked. A coroner's jury ruled a verdict of self defense. Coski was buried in the Goodsprings area.

July 3, Tonopah

  • Roy Moore beat Eddie McAuliffe via 2nd Rd KO in a scheduled 6 Rd fight.
  • July 5, Tonopah
  • Roy Moore beat Frankie Malone via points in 6 Rds.
  • July 16, Reno
  • Roy Moore beat Jack Douglas via 7th Rd KO in a scheduled 10 Rd fight.
  • 1916

January 1, Ely

  • Pat Gilbert fights Yankee Rue to a draw in 10 Rds.
  • February 1, Ely
  • Jack Dempsey beat Johnny Sudenberg via 2nd Rd KO in a scheduled 10 Rd fight.
  • February 5, Ely
  • Frank Barrieau beat Eddie Johnson via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • April 8, Ely
  • Jack Dempsey beat Joe Bonds via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • June 10, Ely
  • Benny Chavez beat Yankee Rue via 4th Rd TKO in a scheduled 15 Rd fight.
  • September 22, Fallon
  • Puggy Morton beat Bennie Hurz via points in a 6 Rd fight.
  • Jimmy Wolgast beat Young Britton via 2nd Rd KO.
  • Joe Bayley beat Billy Callahan via KO, Rd unknown.
  • October 7, Ely
  • Jack Dempsey beat Terry Kellar via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • October 12, Goldfield
  • Willie Ritchie beat Johnny McCarthy via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • Willie Meehan beat Mexican Kid Carter via points.
  • 1917

July 3, Goldfield

  • Willie Meehan beat Al Norton via points in a 10 Rd fight.
  • October 6, Reno
  • Johnny McCarthy, San Francisco, beat Mexican Joe Rivers via points in a 10 Rd fight for the Lightweight Championship of the Pacific Coast.
  • 1918

September 14, Reno – Moana Springs

  • Jack Dempsey beat Jack Moran via 1st Rd KO in a scheduled 10 Rd fight.
    • Moran lasted 70 seconds.
  • 1919

April 24, Reno

  • Perry Lewis beat Eddie Duffy via 17th Rd KO in a scheduled 25 Rd fight.
  • April 30, Tonopah
  • Johnny McCarthy beat Salinas Jack Robinson via points in a 25 Rd fight.
  • May 14, Tonopah
  • Harry Bramer beat Claire "Kid" Bromeo via 13th Rd KO in a scheduled 25 Rd fight.
    • Bromeo was forced to quit due to a fracture in his right hand.
  • June 17, Tonopah
  • Joe Welsh beat Charles Lloyd via 11th Rd KO in a scheduled 25 Rd fight.
  • July 4, Reno
  • Perry Lewis beat Frankie Jones via a disqualification.
  • August 9, Reno, Moana Springs
  • Jack Reeves beat Joe Welsh via 10th Rd KO in a scheduled 25 Rd fight.
  • September 1, Sparks
  • Joe Welch KO’d Solly Sollenberg, Sparks, in 2nd Rd
  • Jack Ryan vs. Battling Savage – Draw – Referee: Jack Farrell
  • Jack Reavs (Reeves) beats Perry Lewis via TKO in the 14th Rd.
    • Referee Jack Farrell
    • Lewis’ seconds threw in the towel to prevent further punishment.
    • Lewis was knocked out in the 13th Rd via right cross, but the bell sounded at the same time, saving him.
    • Reavs mgr: Alex Greggains
    • The misspelling (Reavs) of Reeves’ last name was made by fight promoter, Ralph Dent. Dent was also the poster printer. When it came time to print the posters for Reeves’ fight, he found it didn’t have enough “E” blocks, so he improvised. (Reno Evening Gazette, Sept. 25, 1919, pg. 14)
  • September 26, Reno, Rialto Theater
  • Jimmy Darcy, Portland, beat Jack Reavs (Reeves) via points in a 25 Rd fight.
    • 160 lbs. Referee: Bert “Mush” McCullough
    • Reported to have been for the Light Heavyweight title
  • Benny Contrado, Brooklyn featherweight, beat Walter Miller via 3rd KO in a scheduled 4 Rd fight.
  • September 27, Reno, Moana Springs
  • “Chief” Abernathy, San Francisco vs. Perry Lewis, Sparks – 25 Rds
    • Abernathy’s trainer – F. Devine; fought at 145 lbs; Devine also listed as manager, but with initial “H”.
    • Referee:  – Jack Ferrell
  • November 17

A meeting was held at the office of Judge Lillis to consider the advisability of forming an athletic association for the City of Las Vegas. Membership would be comprised of at least 100 shop men and town men. The purpose would be to provide a variety of sports and live entertainment. The association's affairs would be managed by a board of directors with funds being devoted to the promotion of sport as the season permits.

December 30, Reno

  • Al Walker beat Johnny Coy via 15th Rd KO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • 1920

May 6, Reno

  • Chris George beat Johnny Conde via 4th Rd TKO in a scheduled 20 Rd fight.
  • Young Joe Murphy beat Eddie Quinn via points in a 6 Rd fight.
  • June 1, Reno
  • Young Joe Murphy beat Kid Pinelli via points in a 20 Rd fight.
  • July 5, Reno
  • Joe Azevedo fights Joe Miller to a draw in a 20 Rd fight.
  • July 28, Reno
  • Claire Bromeo beat Joe McIvor via points in a 20 Rd fight.
  • November 25, Thanksgiving Day Program, Las Vegas High School Auditorium
  • Louis "Young" Valencia fought Battling Tony to a draw in a 4 Rd fight.
  • Johnnie Silk beat N.Y. Kid in a 4 Rd fight.
    • The crowd enjoyed this match so much they threw silver onto the canvas. The winner received $12.20.
  • Ray Jarman fought Mickey Mailin to a draw in 4 Rds.
  • 1921

February 4, Thomas’ Hall

  • Claude Bailey fought Ray Pollard to a draw in a 4 Rd fight.
  • Toots Kramer fought Unk Campbell to a draw, unknown Rd count.
    • The crowd felt Campbell had won the bout.
  • Mickey Mailin beat Young McIntire after 6 Rds via points.
    • Refereed by Jerry Stebenne.
  • February 11

Jack Dempsey passed through Las Vegas on his way to Salt Lake City. He was met at the train by a number of local sports.

March 31, Las Vegas

  • Jesse Roughhouse Reed beat Mickey Malin via a stoppage in the 8th Rd.
    • Bout fought at 142 lbs.
  • September 5, Las Vegas Labor Day Program Ladd's Resort, '49 Camp
  • Kid Wright fought Louis Valencia to a draw in 4 Rds.
  • Young Silk fought Kid Bosco to a draw in 4 Rds.
  • 1922

May 30, Las Vegas Ball Park, Memorial Day Celebration, Referee McCarter

  • Shorty "Kid" Matteucci beat Dave "Kid" Davidson via 2nd Rd KO.
  • Henry St. Amand fought Unk Schrader to a draw in 4 Rds.
  • Louis Valencia beat Harold Silk via 2nd Rd foul "catch weight" bout.
  • Ray Gorton (180 lbs) beat Andy Gilmore (180 lbs) via 2nd Rd TKO stoppage in a heavyweight match.
  • 1924

March 25, Las Vegas Fairgrounds

  • Raymond Nace fought Wesley May to a draw in a 4 Rd fight.
    • Marty Rowan refereed.
  • Otis Venable lost to Kid Ward via KO in Rd 3.
  • Henry St. Amand lost to Louis Valencia via points in a 4 Rd fight.
  • Dick Wallace beat Mickey Mahlen via KO in Rd 2.
  • Mickey Wallace beat Bob Iler via points in a 6 Rd fight.
    • This was Wallace's first fight and Iler's first defeat. He was 18 and being trained by his brother Dick who fought in the 4th event.
  • October 16, Elks "Smoker"
  • Henry St. Amand fought Smiling Joe Herman to a draw in a 4 Rd fight.
  • October 17, Las Vegas Fair Grounds Hanger
  • Juan Badines, Needles, CA, fought Eddie McDonald to a draw in 4 Rds.
    • Guy E. Griffith refereed. Bout fought at 115 lbs.
  • Jimmie Jones beat Mickey Mahlen via 3rd Rd TKO stoppage.
    • Mickey Wallace refereed.
  • Dick Wallace beat "Young Red" Fitzsimmons, San Angelo, TX, via 2nd Rd KO.
    • Guy Griffith refereed.
    • This was a substitute bout because the originally scheduled combatants failed to appear. After the fight, the audience threw silver onto the canvas in a "liberal" amount. It was divided 60—40 to winner and loser.
  • Henry St. Amand fought Smiling Joe Herman to a draw in an 8 Rd fight.
    • Joe Bledsoe refereed. Bout fought at 110 lbs.
    • In Rd 7, during a "lively mixup" the referee raised Henry's arm as the winner on the grounds that Joe had fouled with his elbow. This was discredited by all and the crowd protested so vigorously that the referee ordered the fight to continue.
  • Bob Iler fought Otis Venable to a draw in a 10 Rd fight.
    • Guy Griffith refereed. Bout fought at 145 lbs.
    • In Rd 2, after numerous clinches developed, the referee warned the fighters that "they were not rooming together."
  • October 30, Las Vegas Elks Club Meeting Entertainment
  • Henry St. Amand fought Eddie McDonald to a draw in a 6 Rd fight.
  • Julius DeBrinck beat Frank Gussewelle in 1 Rd for the Elks' championship
    • A $100,000 purse and a side bet of an equal amount placed by the backers.
  • 1933

Sources: The Las Vegas Age, published 1905—1924; The Los Angeles Times; The New York Times, Chicago Daily Tribune